Wednesday, December 13, 2023

By Accident: A Memoir of Letting Go - Greene

 From a review published 16 November, 2023 in The Berkeley Times, Knox Book Beat as "Grief & Gratitude," regarding the She Writes Press’ reading at Book Passage in June 2023.

By Accident: A Memoir of Letting Go

By Accident: A Memoir of Letting Go by Joanne Greene
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In By Accident: A Memoir of Letting Go, Joanne Greene; newscaster, TV, radio and podcasting personality wrestles with cancer, a horrible auto injury and long recovery process; profoundly learning and growing along the way with the support of her spouse, Jewish roots, community service and learning to be more flexible in herself, work and relationships. 

     She’s like Donna Stoneham (Catch Me When I Fall) in recognizing the unique, transformational, cumulative, triggering qualities of the spiral of her suffering and healing, even though her circumstances, voice and life experiences frame them differently.     

 

Both experience Greene’s “emptiness I feel…tempered by my gratitude” and “There’s nothing quite like family – the way we show up for the pivotal moments in life.” And how their son’s “life-affirming plan gave me added motivation to heal.” (Greene p. 116-117.) Both examine primary relationships and recreate dialogues and descriptions skillfully, as well as recognizing chance and good fortune in their survival and recoveries.
 

Greene especially focuses on changes in how “I’m overdoing it…recognizing that I can no longer do it all tells me that I really have learned a few lessons since the accident. I can handle uncertainty. Filling every moment with activity gives me no chance to reflect and create moments of peace for myself.” (Greene p. 138.) “Whatever the outcome, I’ll be surrounded by my people.” (Greene p. 154.) 

She knows she is so blessed!

()  https://www.joanne-greene.com/   ()

()  https://shewritespress.com/portfolio/joanne-greene/   ()


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment